One of the most popular items on the breakfast buffet are our breakfast muffins, it is also possible to freeze the mixture if you want to make double the portions. Ingredients
300g plain flour
2 tea spoon baking powder
2 tea spoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
160 milliliters sunflower oil
280 grams caster sugar
2 tea spoon vanilla essence
220 grams peeled carrots, grated
200 grams bramley or granny smith apples, roughly chopped
100 grams pecan nuts, roughly chopped
100 grams sultanas
50 grams flaked coconut topping mix
50 grams unsalted butter
75 grams plain flour
25 grams light muscovado sugar
50 grams rolled oats
15 grams sunflower seeds
25 grams pumpkin seeds
15 grams black sesame seeds
1 tea spoon water
1 tea spoon sunflower oil
1 ½ table spoon honey
Preheat oven to 170c / gas mark 3
Line a muffin tray with paper cases.
Method for the Topping
1. Mix flour, butter and sugar together in a food processor until it forms a crumbly texture.
2. Mix in oats, seeds, honey, oil & water and set aside.
Method for the Muffin
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
4. In a large bowl whisk the eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla essence with the grated carrot and apple.
5. Gently fold in the pecans, sultanas, coconut and then the sifted flour mixture.
6. Do not over mix.
7. Spoon into cases and scatter the topping over each
8. Bake for 25 minutes approximately, until a skewer inserted in the centre of the muffin comes out clean.
9. Remove the muffins from the tins when they are just warm and allow them to cool down before serving.
10. N.B their flavour will actually improve after a couple of hours.
We hope you enjoy them and feel free to share images and tag of your finished bakes #Ballynahinchbakes.